Skip to Content
Call Us Today! 605-519-6136

Can I Recover Compensation for Emotional Anguish After a Car Accident?

Woman clutches her neck after getting into a car accident

If you have been involved in a car accident, you may be feeling a range of emotions, from shock and confusion to fear and anger. It is natural to feel overwhelmed after such an experience, and the stress of the situation can take its toll on your mental health.

You may be wondering if you can recover compensation for emotional anguish after a car accident. In this blog post, we will discuss that it may be possible for a car accident victim to recover compensation in a personal injury lawsuit for emotional anguish under certain circumstances.

Recovering Damages for Emotional Distress in a Personal Injury Lawsuit

To recover damages for emotional distress, you must prove that the wrongful party's actions were negligent or intentional and that those actions caused you to suffer severe emotional distress.

You must also show that the emotional distress was a result of physical injury or the threat of physical injury. It is important to note that not all emotional distress is considered severe enough to warrant compensation in a personal injury lawsuit.

For example, if you are involved in a car accident, and you experience anxiety or depression as a result, this would not be considered severe emotional distress.

To recover damages for emotional anguish, you must be able to show that the distress caused you to suffer physical manifestations, such as insomnia, weight loss, or gastrointestinal disorders.

It can be difficult to prove that the other party's actions were the cause of your emotional distress, which is why it is important to work with an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you build a strong case.

We Can Help

Our team has helped many others who have been harmed by the actions of a negligent party, and we are prepared to do the same for you.

If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident, our lawyers at Whiting Hagg & Dorsey, LLP may be able to help you receive the settlement you deserve. Give us a call at (605) 519-6136 or fill out the online contact form.