Being followed is a very scary situation, but it can also be seriously dangerous. However, there are some steps you can take to protect yourself.
Keep reading to learn what to do if you’re being followed by another driver.
Verify That You’re Being Followed
If you think you’re being followed, it’s a good idea to remain on high alert so that you’re prepared for whatever comes next. In order to verify that another driver is following you, do the following:
- If you’re driving on a street as opposed to a highway, make four right turns.
- If the same car is still behind you after your fourth turn, chances are you are being followed.
- If you’re on the highway, take the next exit and then immediately get back on the highway.
- If the car is still following you, it’s likely that person is stalking you.
- If you’re on the highway, get all the way over to the right lane and drop your speed to about 15 miles per hour (mph) below the posted speed limit.
- If the car is still behind you after all others have passed, you are likely being followed.
Getting Rid of The Stalker
Once you’ve confirmed that you’re being followed, you’ll want to take the following steps to get rid of the stalker:
#1 - Most importantly, don’t go home
Your instincts will tell you to go to a safe place, but the last thing you want is for your stalker to know where you live.
#2 - Gather information
Take note of the vehicle’s make and model. Record their license plate number, if possible. Just be very careful that you don’t cause an accident in an attempt to obtain this information.
#3 - Call the police
Alert the police that you are being followed. Let them know where you are and as much information about the stalker as possible.
#4 - Head to the police station
A good way to shake someone who’s following you is to drive to an active police station. Someone who is dangerous and wants to cause harm to you most likely won’t follow you into a place of such authority.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident because someone was following you, or for any other reason, you may be owed compensation. Our attorneys here at Whiting Hagg & Dorsey, LLP are highly skilled in the area of car accident personal injury law and have helped many other people just like you obtain justice. Don’t delay—contact our office with your case right away.
If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident, our lawyers at Whiting Hagg & Dorsey, LLP may be able to help you receive the settlement you deserve. Give us a call at (605) 519-6136 or fill out an online contact form.